It is currently December 17th, 2017, 8:32 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 4:55 pm 

The Great Food Production Line

Gypsy gets 1 bag for breakfast & 1 bag for dinner. (Total 2 a day)
Every bag has 1 'curl' of pasta, a little rice and bean mix as base ingredients, added to that is at least 3 of the other ingredients, some have a bit of everything.
There is enough variety in each bag that we dont have to pick & choose from the freezer stash, we just grab the nearest bag.
We dont 'mash' the ingredients all together so Scarlett can pick & choose what to eat in what order, lol.
Cold weather, we 'nuke' the food to warm it up more than room temp.

Doing it this way, we have about 6 weeks of food ready at any time.

The beans; simmered in a pan of water on the stove for 5 minutes.
Sweet potato, pumpkin & brocchalini; in the microwave for about 90 seconds on high (just by themselves, no water or anything).
The fruits are all fresh, uncooked.

By all means add whatever fruit & veg are available to you, this was the latest production line mix, we use whatever is available at the time (or on 'special') at the shop.
We buy cobs of corn as a play/eat/shred toy. I cut them into about 2 inch pieces and freeze. When needed I defrost one, shove a hard piece of wire through the piece and attach it to her cage. Keeps her 'amused' for awhile.

I just take a bag out when needed, run some cold water over the outside of it for 3 seconds then dump the contents into a microwave safe bowl. In summer I just defrost it, in winter I give it a few more seconds so that it's warm. I do stick my finger on the pieces to make sure they're not too hot before serving

The Green Ice Cube Containers
The left over juices i kept seperate and poured into ice cube trays and added a variety of a sultana or two, some seeds, a bit of finely chopped pasta, or some rice.
One of those can be a snack on a hot day for your fid.

(sorry about the 'disjointed' text above, the original thread on here was lost in the move)

Attachments:
21cef52.jpg
21cef52.jpg [ 18.06 KiB | Viewed 60202 times ]
2envpc6.jpg
2envpc6.jpg [ 33.46 KiB | Viewed 60259 times ]
f1xoy1.jpg
f1xoy1.jpg [ 35.83 KiB | Viewed 60259 times ]
3178bbr.jpg
3178bbr.jpg [ 22.35 KiB | Viewed 60259 times ]
2nlg610.jpg
2nlg610.jpg [ 14.98 KiB | Viewed 60259 times ]
28qqat1.jpg
28qqat1.jpg [ 16.56 KiB | Viewed 60259 times ]
8we694.jpg
8we694.jpg [ 17.26 KiB | Viewed 60259 times ]

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 6:55 pm 

Hi hobo,
This is a great idea and probably what I'll do when I get my birdie. Just a couple of questions though. 1- when you say that you cut everything up and then freeze it, when it comes time to make up the batches isnt everything frozen into a big lump. 2- are there any vegies that 'must' be cooked.
Thanks

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

All veggies should be eaten raw but freezed raw is better than nothing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 10:24 am 

aa, we cut everything up and then put it on those plastic trays so the foods well 'spread out' before it freezes & break apart what's stuck with a spoon the passionfruit pulp and rice etc we just put a clump in each bag.
we use more than the number of trays shown there when freezing, we just stack em 1 on top of the other with a piece of 'go between' between each tray

the plastic trays are the throw away trays the supermarkets use for their packaging - we keep them & reuse

i dont think any veg HAS to be cooked, it's just the way we do it
i know 'fresh' food is always the best however we were wasting too much, it tending to 'go off' in the fridge before it could all be used & we were throwing too much away.
freezing then thawing does not make a huge difference in the quality....but that's just My Opinion

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, studies are now showing raw freezed veggies have the same nutrient content as raw fresh. Raw freeze, but don't cook or blanch & freeze. The worst would be to cook them. But this doesn't include cooked treats or cooked meat, fish (shark?) chicken etc. They can have them as a nice treat every now & then.

If a veg is safe to eat cooked then it is safe to eat raw as well.

And frozen is really good for hot days.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 11:02 am 

The production line is a really great idea , i think next shopping day i will do a good shop then bag and freeze gergies fruit n veg ... I too am getting wastage in some areas and not in others as my kids tend to eat georgies food aswell lol ... I bought him grapes strawberries , and cherry tomatoes but the kids ate em all , at least this way georgie will actually get some LOL:)... kids wont eat the greens tho

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 5:39 pm 

LOL on the kids not eating the greens

with the grapes -
if you freeze them cut them in 1/2 before feeding & check' hotness'
if they're in a mealmix & you defrost in the micro, they get *really* hot while the rest of the veg is only just defrosted

it was written in the old forum some member's eckies didnt know what to do with grapes & they had to cut them in 1/2 before serving them

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 7:20 pm 

I will keep that in mind if i ever heat up a mix cheers
... georgie eats whole grapes .. tears them open ...so no need for cutting ... enough to cut with all the other fruit n vegies :)

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 10:31 am 

Thanks Hobo and Kim,
I get it now ( the pre freezeing before bagging). Of course fresh is best but I live by myself and I'm not much of a cook so I dont have fresh vegie in the house for myself because the same thing happens with reguards to the wasteage. I have read lots about their diet but there are somethings I'm just not sure about yet. I've never eaten raw pumpkin or sweet potato so are these ok to feed raw. Are there any vegies that you can think of, say like potatos, that cant be fed uncooked. Can you feed them potatos?

Kim,
Have seen your web site and the diet for eclectus and I would love to get a copy of the two books you have written but when I tried with bookmon? I had no luck.

Thanks

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Yeah my ekkie freaks out over whole grapes but go nuts over grapes cut in 1/2 Weird LOL

Pumpkin & sweet potato are fine to feed raw. You can feed any root veg raw, parsnip etc.... The only thing I just thought of that probably should be cooked is potato, but it isn't a veg you need to feed you ekkie. Everything else, raw is fine.

Here are the books links:
http://www.bookemon.com/book-profile/ec ... ets/140692
http://www.bookemon.com/book-profile/ec ... ots/140693