It is currently December 16th, 2017, 3:39 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: April 18th, 2014, 8:21 pm 

Hi all,

So harry loves making other bird sounds, he has some really sweet magpie impersonations as well as other birds he hears outside. Unfortunately one of these birds is a family of crows that live in my area. Harry has picked up on their cawing and has his own loud, high pitch, repetitive imitation of it. He's rather good at sounding like a crow, it but it's just terrible and is high pitch and painful to hear, especially as he's now incorporated it as 70% of what I call his "bird call" routine (his favorite sounds to sing, which he repeats throughout the day). He gets very happy making this sound along with his magpie and wattlebird sounds but unfortunately it's so very difficult to live with.

His buddy Oscar (also an eclectus) also hates the crow sound and gets rather quiet and upset when Harry's going on. Oscar is quite the chatterbox and talks to me most of the day (speaks really well actually!) but shuts up and goes as far away from Harry as the can during Harry's crow impersonation. Sometimes he interjects with an adorable soft whistle to try to shut him up! So I don't think Oscar is a fan either unfortunately

So I was just wondering if anyone knows any good ways to help discourage this sound? He is clicker trained and does get clicked and rewarded when he says nice things like "hello" or his adorable magpie chirp. Unfortunately he keeps on with the crows as I figure it's probably quite self rewarding. I'm not at all interested in any positive punishment methods which people keep suggesting. Someone on another forum has suggested having a remote controlled bright light in front on the cage which you flash and use to pretty much blind him every time he makes the crow sound. Yeah I'd rather use positive reinforcement thanks!

I'd love and appreciate any suggestions :)

PostPosted: May 5th, 2014, 1:15 pm 

Hi, I haven't received any help with this. Tips would be appreciated

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 10:35 pm 

Hmm... you could try and teach Harry a different sound that he might then adapt as his favourite? My ekkie is currently trying to learn the whistle from Kill Bill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CamXKi002Q&feature=kp

He's also trying to learn all of "this little piggy". I find that he uses his alone time to practice these ones and they're both sounds I can put in the "not extremely annoying" pile which is good.

Maybe you could also take into account how you act around Harry when he's making that noise. Perhaps he likes the reaction he gets from making the noise.
Maybe you could also find another of his favourite noises that he does often and reward him for it with treats/lots of "GOOD BOY"s so that it might become more frequent and the annoying noises less frequent.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2014, 8:07 am 

Hm that's a good idea thanks! We ignore Harry when he caws :) I think I'll try to find a new noise he likes. He's so trying very hard to say "good boy" at the moment which is oscars favourite

PostPosted: June 5th, 2014, 2:01 am 

My ekkie only knows "naughty"... I WONDER WHY :P