It is currently January 19th, 2018, 5:35 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Wanted to buy - Eclectus
PostPosted: April 30th, 2013, 10:11 pm 

Good evening All :)

We have decided that we are ready, after a lot of research and face-to-face time, to bring an eclectus into our family. We did see a girl in a Perth shop who unfortunately had been mistreated quite badly by a previous owner. She fell in utter love with my husband (even allowing him to get her out of her cage, stepping up and snuggling into him) but lunged/bit me whenever I tried to go anywhere near him/her. Uber stressful environment for her so totally understand, and she did step-up onto a perch for me. My heart says to get her, and rehabilitate her, but my head says no :( So the search continues....

I would really like recommendations of breeders etc in WA - happy to travel within the state. I know that freight is an option but I am keen to meet the breeder/shop and their birds etc.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated :)

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 6:04 pm 

No need for suggestions now lol We went back to the shop to have a look at the birds and the connection between my husband and the little girl was very apparent so we are now the proud owners of a beautiful eclectus hen. I am just going to take it nice and slow and see how things go and build up that trust but she is like super glue to my husband :p. Destiny, fate and all that jazz.

Although maybe a little green man may be in my future......

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 7:40 pm 

Congratulations.
Please send some photos, and I hope you stay with the forum for the wealth of experience, advise and 'all that jazz'.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 9:58 pm 

Ta so much :) Will post pics shortly. I am definitely here to stay - the forum is just fantastic.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 7:18 am 
Site Admin

Congrats & sorry for the late reply :)

Slow & steady is the key. She's a re homed girl so don't have high expectations of her so soon.

Maybe she had a bad past with females so she's a bit bity to you? Or maybe hubby just has the knack...who knows.

I'm in perth as well. Ekkie breeders kinda like to stay in hiding around here which makes it hard to find an ekkie other than looking in crapy shops.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 7:44 pm 

My Lucy does not like me but loves my hubby. We've learned how to get along, I just don't put my hands (or feet -- lol) near her beak. I respect her personal space. She lets me change out her food bowls. She still growls at me, but I just ignore it so I don't reinforce the behavior. One day I hope to have a closer relationship with her, but if it doesn't happen then that's ok too. Just as long as she's happy and healthy.